National Wool Declaration (NWD)
The animal welfare issue of mulesing has been of interest to the supply chain since 2004 and the Australian sheep and wool industry has made a strategic commitment to develop and implement alternatives to mulesing. The Australian wool industry is leading the way in responding to changing global customer requirements and attitudes by supporting a fully informed market.
The function of the NWD is to enable wool growers to declare the Dark and Medullated Fibre Risk (DMFR) of their wool and their animal welfare practices (i.e. Mob Status) to wool exporters, processors and retailers. The NWD is the trusted declaration method for Australia.
Once an owner/manager has completed the NWD, the information is converted by the wool selling agent into a recognised DMFR rating and/or Mob Status (Mob and/or Property declaration) for inclusion in sale catalogues and test certificates.
Note, documentation related to NWD V8.0 can be found after the NWD V9.0 documentation.
NWD V9.0 July 2021 (release date 1 January 2022)
This version contains the following changes:
The 2021 review focused on identification of wool from sheep treated with liquid nitrogen, and consideration was given to the categories (Mob and Property Status) of the NWD, and how they relate to each other. The changes to the NWD V9.0 are:
- Introduction of Liquid Nitrogen as two Categories:
- LA – use of liquid nitrogen with an APVMA approved Analgesic product, and
- LN – use of liquid nitrogen without the use of an APVMA Analgesic product.
- Both questions related to Ceased Mulesing (CM) Status now have a 12 month time frame.
- Lots will eligible for a Mob or Property status (MS, formerly Mulesing Status) listed in the sale catalogue/test certificate, i.e. Non Mulesed (NM), Liquid Nitrogen with Analgesic (LA), Liquid Nitrogen without Analgesic (LN), mulesed with Analgesic and/or Anaesthetic products (AA), Mulesed (M), Ceased Mulesing (CM) or Not Declared (ND).
- Wool selling agents have the option to choose which Mob Break description to use in NWD V9.0, i.e. Bale Ranges or 1st Bale in Mob.
Industry stakeholders developing documents or stationery must not change any of the definitions or supporting explanation in the NWD V9.0. This is to ensure consistency of the NWD and maximise the integrity of all Australian declarations, and to provide our customers with clarity on each NWD category enabling them to make informed purchasing decisions.
All selling agents are encouraged to quickly adopt the NWD V9.0 to allow all declarations to be made using V9.0 by 1 January 2022.
The following documents are available to download: NWD V9.0 Release Notes and Business Rules Issue 1, NWD V9.0 with Classer’s Specification in Landscape & Portrait and a Separate NWD V9.0. The documents are in PDF format. A Microsoft Word version is available and an individual Broker's logo can be added on request.
For more information contact: Kerry Hansford, AWEX Technical Projects Manager, email@example.com or (03) 9318 0277.
Download the NWD V 9.0 and Save to your Computer
Brokers updating to NWD V9 should ensure that both the NWD and the accompanying notes are carefully reviewed.
Combined Classer's Specification and NWD (NWD Definitions, Explanations and Codes are on p. 2).
Separate NWD for use with an "old" Classer's Specification or a Classer's Specification without a NWD. The NWD Definitions, Explanations and Codes are included on this single page.
Additional information related to the NWD V9.0
AWEX NWD V8.0 March 2020 (superseded by V9.0 on 1 January 2022)
Separate NWD for use with an "old" Classer's Specification or a Classer's Specification without a NWD. The NWD Definitions, Instructions and Codes are included on this single page.
Additional information related to the NWD V8.0: